Health & Wellbeing | Current member

Making a benefit claim

Prescription drug claims – Once you’ve enrolled in the plan, you will receive drug card. Simply present your drug card to your pharmacist when you fill your prescription.

For most other health and dental claims, including for your Healthcare Spending Account (HCSA), the fastest, easiest way to submit is them through My Canada Life at Work. You simply need to be registered and signed up for direct deposit of claim payments.

Keep in mind that if your spouse has a benefits plan, you may be able to Coordinate Benefits to get more covered, and if you have an HCSA, you may be able to use that to pay for any amounts not covered by your plan or your spouse’s.

If you still prefer to submit paper claim form, they can be found on My Canada Life at Work. (See “Find a form” in related resources.)

TIP: Not sure how to submit a claim online? The Canada Life Member Guides would be happy to help. Just call!

For Life insurance, AD&D or critical illness claims – Please refer to your detailed Benefits Guide for details.


  • Claims must be submitted to Canada Life no later than 15 months after you incur the expense (and if you’re submitting a paper claim, don’t forget to attach your receipts!).
  • HCSA claims must be submitted 90 days after the end of the year in which the expense was incurred.
  • TIP: Make sure to keep your receipts for 12 months from the date you submit your claims as a record of the transaction. It’s also a good idea to save a copy of your Explanation of Benefits, once the claim has been paid.

Life events

Life can take many twists and turns, and it’s important that your benefits coverage can adapt to meet your needs as they evolve.

If you experience a change in family status that affects your coverage needs, you may make changes to your benefit options within 31 days without waiting for the next re-enrollment period.

A change in family status includes:

  • Marriage/common-law;
  • Birth or adoption of a child;
  • Separation/divorce;
  • Loss of coverage through your spouse’s group benefit program (for example, if your spouse loses his/her job);
  • Death of your spouse or only child;
  • Your spouse or only child ceasing to qualify for coverage (for example, through divorce or your child reaching the age limit for coverage).

IMPORTANT NOTE: See your plan administrator for details no later than 31 days after a change in family status occurs. Certain conditions apply.

When you retire or terminate employment, you are no longer be eligible for our employer-paid group benefit coverage. You may also be able to convert your life insurance to an individual policy. Contact Canada Life for details.

As a retiree, you may wish to enroll in our self-paid group retiree benefits plan. Please review the Retirement Plan Election Guide in the “Retired, or soon?” section, or contact your regional office to learn more.

Re-enrollment info

You have the opportunity to review and make changes to your coverage every two years, during the re-enrollment period. This typically happens in late November/early December, for the start of the next benefits year on January 1.

Before you re-enroll, it’s always a good idea to review your claims history (on My Canada Life at Work), think about your coverage selections, and consider whether your benefits needs have changed – or will change soon.